Today, we unpacked the parts we got back from anodizing and began assembly. We completed one full launcher, as shown below. Plenty more assembly still ahead. Glorious.
Our team’s vice president decided to create a spreadsheet that logged all progress made by the team. It’s only editable by a select few (mainly mentors and division leaders), but it serves as an excellent method of logging what needs to be done while promoting efficiency.
Members of the mechanical team cut some shafts, and made a few standoffs on the lathe.
In addition, they mounted pistons and remade parts for the practice bot. Members also decided to grease and construct some of the VEX planetary gearboxes.
In terms of wiring, members…
Routed PWM’s (Half-way done with on main bot, done with on practice bot)
Routed encoders (Half-way done on practice bot, done on the actual bot)
The ribbon cable for CRIO to sidecar done on both bots.
Although today was not a scheduled student meeting day, work still progressed during class and into the evening. We assembled bearings and standoffs to the Choo-Choo gearbox plates, machined the Choo-Choo output shafts, and cut stock for the launcher shafts (enough for 4 complete launchers).
Over at our sponsor shop Daveco Industries, work proceeded until 11:00 PM where we finished facing off, turning down, and drilling and tapping all 12 launcher shafts. Polishing is now in process, as shown below, and will be finished tomorrow afternoon.
We also checked on the status of the gearbox output shafts at another sponsor shop. They’re coming along quite nicely, and we hope they’ll be done before Friday afternoon. A current picture of the gearbox output shaft in-progress is shown below.
Today we took parts to anodize and took a look at all shafts on the robot. We modified the intake shaft to properly interface with the bearing blocks. We produced print drawings and cut stock for all shafts except for the catapult. We machined the full quantities of the first and second choo-choo gearbox shafts. Tomorrow, we’ll try to machine the remainder of the shafts.
We welded the front funnel assemblies and took all the welded parts including 4 H frames, 3 intakes, 2 front funnels, and 4 side funnels to powder coat. Powder coat will be done on Wednesday. On the way back from the Powder Coat shop, we stopped and picked up the launcher plates from our waterjet sponsor. We drilled, deburred, and scuffed them to prep for anodizing. Also, we machined the choo-choo link bars, and cut the big launcher tubes in preparation for anodizing. The launcher solid rods didn’t make it in time for anodizing, so those will have to get polished.
We put in a McMaster order totaling about $1,000 that should include the majority of the remaining fasteners and pneumatic cylinders for both robots.
Work has been proceeding in order to bring perfection to the crudely-conceived prototype of the robot.
According to the members of the mech team, the prototype is now 60 percent less shadier. They obtained CNC-routered side pannels, and a routered’ funnel. All that has to be done is assembly.
In the electrical department, they finished wiring power to the talons. Members got the power mostly routed for the CRIO modules and sidecar.They also started wiring in-between the solenoids and the relay-out on the CRIO. This task wasn’t finished, but will be continued tomorrow.
Far more experienced members and Mr. Black almost finished welding h-frames.
Machining of some “intake actuator clamping mounts” (pictured below) began.
In the CAD department, members looked through pneumatic cylinder cad models for intake. They determined that we need a 3-inch stroke back-to-back with a 2-inch stroke for a total of 5 inches of stroke. This lets us stop either 3 inches or 5 inches in.